Online dating ottawa canada
The first years were very harsh as they struggled on the frontier. Residents commonly called the first settlement "Buell's Bay." Around 1810 government officials of Upper Canada designated the village as Elizabethtown.About 1812 leading residents of the village suggested that the village be renamed to differentiate it from the township of Elizabethtown.In 1830 the population of Brockville exceeded the 1000 mark.This entitled it to be represented by its own elected member in the House of Assembly.
There was a court house and jail, six churches or chapels, and a steamboat pier for travel to and from Montreal and Kingston.
It is included with Leeds and Grenville for census purposes only.
Known as the "City of the 1000 Islands", Brockville is located on the north shore of the Saint Lawrence River opposite Morristown, New York, about halfway between Ontario's Cornwall to the east and Kingston to the west.
By means of the Brockville Police Act passed by the Legislative Assembly of Upper Canada, Brockville was granted the right to govern its own affairs, pass laws, and raise taxes.
The first elections for the new Board of Police were held on April 2, 1832 to elect four members to the Board.Henry Jones, the village postmaster, was elected in October 1830 to the 11th Parliament of the Province.